Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
The oil in the diff should be replaced every 30,000 miles. It is also advised to use an additive to prolong its life.
+1, start here first and see how she goes as it could still be on its original drive train oil for all you know.

if your bale to get underneath take a look at the input/output seal to see if its leaking or not as you could have low oil level in the diff which wont do it any good over a long period of time.

Regards,

·
Registered
91 Posts
New oil may quieten it a little, how ever the crown wheel and pinion are probably getting worn.

Sometimes they are set up on the loose side at GKN Salisbury, so just a slight amount of wear is enough to make them "sing or howl".

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they can make noise and still last a hell of a long time.
Wayne is correct, I used to have an old Granada that howled like a wolf and she never blew on me and I drove her to UK & Germany all the time over a 3 year period with no problems ( just the howl ) I changed the diff oil each year too and had NO leaks either from the seal.

I just turned the music up to drown it out. :)

Regards,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.