Aston Martin Forum banner

1st gear whine from rear of car

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  WayneB 
#1 ·
HI,I am anew member and a new owner of a 97 db7 Coupe. The car has a automatic transmission and the car has 38,000 miles. The car runs very well but i noticed a whine from the rear of the car when in first gear.this seems to go away when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gears. I have never driven a DB7 before and I dont know if this is common in this vechicle or something to be addressed. Any info would be appreciated

#10 ·
The oil in the diff should be replaced every 30,000 miles. It is also advised to use an additive to prolong its life.
+1, start here first and see how she goes as it could still be on its original drive train oil for all you know.

if your bale to get underneath take a look at the input/output seal to see if its leaking or not as you could have low oil level in the diff which wont do it any good over a long period of time.

Regards,

#7 ·
What l am saying is,what l was told when l first
got an Aston.Leave the yellow light on unless in Sport.
Although the car can take it,you will get that whine as it
puts a strain on the diff that it does not need. Try it in Sport
in 2nd and see if you think you need it.I want to keep mine with
out coursing unwanted wear.Why do you need 1st please.?

#9 ·
I understand what you are saying,you cannot select both anyway,
but find if l use kick-down from standstill it is fast enough.But it is your
car so your choice,although she is 17 years coming up 18.Would it be best
to make sure oil in diff changed at some time not long ago.All joints in prop
and half shafts o.k and had fresh grease in.Generally go over the car to make
sure it will not let you down at a time like that. Those Artics are heavy.

#11 ·
New oil may quieten it a little, how ever the crown wheel and pinion are probably getting worn.

Sometimes they are set up on the loose side at GKN Salisbury, so just a slight amount of wear is enough to make them "sing or howl".

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they can make noise and still last a hell of a long time.

#12 ·
Wayne is correct, I used to have an old Granada that howled like a wolf and she never blew on me and I drove her to UK & Germany all the time over a 3 year period with no problems ( just the howl ) I changed the diff oil each year too and had NO leaks either from the seal.

I just turned the music up to drown it out. :)

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.