Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently while driving in heavy rain the drivers side wiper blade fell off. After inspecting the arm I am not sure what needs to be replaced. The end of the intact passenger side has a standard J connector and a 13" bosch blade. Whats left on the drivers side looks weird and doesn't fit any wiper blade I have seen. Attached are a couple of pictures. Did I loose a piece of the wiper arm along with the blade? Can it be replaced? And why did it fall off in the first place? The original owner had blades replaced by dealer two years ago. I don't think this car had ever seen rain before I bought it last week and I plan to use this car as a daily commuter. I need my wipers. My nearest dealer is 500 miles away so I am on my own. Please help. Also, on the subject of rain, If you get in or out of the car when it is raining the door panel is bound to get wet. I assume this panel is covered in leather, not vinyl, and I am thinking of coaing it with leather waterproofing. Good idea or bad? Any suggestions on the product. I love everything about this car. Powerfull, smooth, surefooted and incredibly beautiful. I hope to put a hundred thousand miles on it. I had looked at the ferrari 456 prior to my purchase. The 456 has a better exhaust note but the DB7 is much better looking. The 456 requires an expensive timing belt change every few years and the DB7 seemed a more reliable choice for daily driving. Hope I was right.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
A standard wiper arm will be too small to stay in the recess as shown in the lower picture. The pin on the replacement is a smaller diameter than the original part from A.M. You can still use one though but you need to wrap some tape or similar around the pin to make it a tighter fit in the recess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wiper arm

Thanks Vulcan. I purchased a replacement blade from a dealer for $30. It fit properly but I wraped a small black plastic zip-tie around the end of the arm/middle of the blade anyway. Everything seems tight now. Haven't driven in the rain yet but if it works I will post a picture of the zip-tie placement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good idea as I have nearly lost mine a couple of times now. It was okay until the car went in for a respray and they must have fitted cheap replacement blades with the smaller diameter pins. :rolleyes:

On the other question of rain on the leather door panel, I use a quality leather care cream every 6 months or so and the water beads on it quite well so no lasting damage.

If you want a better exhaust note, maybe an upgrade to a sports system?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your exhaust system has a centre box and / or two small boxes directly in front of the rear axle then have someone make up two straight through pipes to go from the post-cat joint to the joint by the rear axle.

It would be a good choice to maybe have the pipe slightly larger diameter for the centre runs and adjusted to fit at each ends. This will take the edge off and allow for a slight expansion of the gasses.

Essentially what the GT model has is a large centre box but NO rear axle boxes. All models do have the rear boxes behind the bumper (fender) trim.
The GT then has bypass valves and two extra pipes that bypass the centre box, however the centre box is still in the system so allows for some gasses to pass through.

When time permits I wish to have my centre box removed and replaced with some pipework, as I always have the valves open constantly anyway.

I wish to have it modified so that the centre section can be replaced back to factory spec at any time.

So I thought I'de mention it here for you as it's an option for a sportier note, also with a custom fabricator I guess he could play with diameters to tune it a little for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts