Aston Martin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming from a '97 BMW 840 to a low mileage '01 DB7. Frankly, the DB7 is antiquated in some respects, but it is a cool looking & unusual car to own. Looking for guidance on the following:

1. The leather covering the instrument cluster on the left area has "curdled" a bit. Was thinking of using Connolly or similar. Am concerned if it will darken and/or leave a shiny surface.
2. The clock works, but it's always off 6- 7 hours. Does the burl wood panel pop off to access it?
3. A.C. is cold (not real cold), but fan position #3 is not really powerful.
4. On both rear flanks there is a pale wisp of a narrow curved stripe. On one side I thought it was a reflection from the chrome antenna. There is no abrasion, but it is curious looking. Maybe it's wind burn!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Queries (2) answered

Looks like this is a not a much visited forum, coming from a BMW 8-Series forum.

1. Clock; instead of using the advance button, I used the retard button & that did the job.
2. Mysterious wind burn streaks on the rear flanks must be coming from reflection off the antenna, as they are not always present.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1. The leather covering the instrument cluster on the left area has "curdled" a bit. Was thinking of using Connolly or similar. Am concerned if it will darken and/or leave a shiny surface.
2. The clock works, but it's always off 6- 7 hours. Does the burl wood panel pop off to access it?
3. A.C. is cold (not real cold), but fan position #3 is not really powerful.
4. On both rear flanks there is a pale wisp of a narrow curved stripe. On one side I thought it was a reflection from the chrome antenna. There is no abrasion, but it is curious looking. Maybe it's wind burn!
1. I use Zaino prducts to care for my leather, Z-9 for cleaning and Z-10 for feeding.

2. Glad to hear you sorted the clock, for future reference the clock power is shared by the PATS and ALARM sounder circuits. If the clock ever stops first check is the red flashing LED.. if it's also off then check the fuse in the passenger footwell.

3. AC might need recharging, easy fix for the temp. As for fan speed, setting 3 uses an separate relay to put full power to the fans, this could be a fuse problem, relay problem or control panel problem.

4. My guess is reflections, my GT has the same you can get it for the side windows or just off the body work itself, try holding some card up between the sun and car and move it around and hopefully they will vanish and reappear as you do this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am familiar with Zaino as I have been using it for the past 3 yrs on my BMW. Still concerned that applying Z-9 & Z-10 on the leather dash area will create a 2 tone effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've used Z9 and Z10 with excellent results.

I use it on every bit of leather in the car, from dash right through to rear shelf.

I even use Z10 on some of the plastics as it gives a great smell and doesn't leave any marks.

I only use it on the interior, just to be clear about the plastics.

I have noted that mixing Autoglym and Zaino products can sometimes give a streaky appearance, but this vanishes if cleansed with Z9 well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First impressions of my "new" DB7

Compared to my '97 BMW 840, this '01 DB7 is antiquated in some respects. Not as technically advanced re creature comforts:

1. Old fashioned power antenna; not integrated in the rear glass.
2. A/C not as sophisticated or powerful.
3. One touch windows down only & doors must be shut. (Rear windows fixed.)
4. Not as roomy or cushy overall; backseats not as usable as the 8. Car is not for larger people.
5. Ignition key & remote locking not integrated into the key.
6. Passenger visor has mirror with no light. Driver's has neither.
7. Gear indicator lights are alongside of gear marks; not on them. Can't see at night.
8. No cruise control.
9. Exhaust is louder.
10. Rearview mirror is not automatic.
11. Passenger side mirror does not tilt when in reverse.
12. No cupholder.
13. Does come with umbrella & fire extinguisher.
14. Manual states 3 different fuel tank capacities!

But, on the other hand, it's an Aston!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's interesting to read the differences between Aston's, even those made on the same line.

1. Old fashioned power antenna; not integrated in the rear glass.
Mine is disabled and uses a smaller high mounted antenna

2. A/C not as sophisticated or powerful.
A/C on mine is simple but very effective, still 100% (fingers crossed)

3. One touch windows down only & doors must be shut. (Rear windows fixed.)
One touch down also but mine work with doors open.

4. Not as roomy or cushy overall; backseats not as usable as the Car is not for larger people.
I find mine to be very comfy but it has the far better seats fitted and we are a small family so fit in very well

5. Ignition key & remote locking not integrated into the key.
Agreed, could have issued a new key with built in fob

6. Passenger visor has mirror with no light. Driver's has neither.
Anyone caught looking at themselves in my car will be promptly kicked out ;-)

7. Gear indicator lights are alongside of gear marks; not on them. Can't see at night.
Not a problem with my Manual ;-)

8. No cruise control.
I missed this feature at first but it's very easy to stick bang on a steady speed without effort.

9. Exhaust is louder.
Oh yes and with F22 gone even louder still..!

10. Rearview mirror is not automatic.
Not had a car yet that had this so not missed for me.

11. Passenger side mirror does not tilt when in reverse.
Again not had this and never needed it really.

12. No cupholder.
I wouldn't like open drinks in my Aston but I would welcome a few more little places to put things.

13. Does come with umbrella & fire extinguisher.
One hopes we never need use for either.

14. Manual states 3 different fuel tank capacities!
Mine states the same figure in 3 places, workshop manual, technical manual and owners manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which DB7 do you have ?

Good afternoon,

I am new member and have just bought a second hand DB7 coupé from 1996 but we need desperately a user's manual in English or French.

In case you have the same model, would you mind sharing with us the user's manual so that we can scan it and return it back to you within the same day ?

Many thanks for your help !

Regards,
Ninette

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Good afternoon,

I am new member and have just bought a second hand DB7 coupé from 1996 but we need desperately a user's manual in English or French.

In case you have the same model, would you mind sharing with us the user's manual so that we can scan it and return it back to you within the same day ?

Many thanks for your help !

Regards,
Ninette
Have you checked to see if you can download one from Aston's website.

I know Ferrari provides digital pdfs of manuals to owners.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I did contact them but they asked me to contact the Aston country dealer who sells it for some Euros 260 !!!!

It is really ridiculous to ask for such an amount for this...

Thanks !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Yes some places charge a fair bit for these manuals. I bought 3 manuals for around 100 eur from HWM in London. 3 big bindings with all drawings of how you take the car apart if need be. After 2 years with a DB7 it is very handy to have I must say. I cant really say I only changed the oil these years but it is a part of the fun i suppose! Good luck.

TJB

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a workshop manual on CD....

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I did contact them but they asked me to contact the Aston country dealer who sells it for some Euros 260 !!!!

It is really ridiculous to ask for such an amount for this...

Thanks !
however it is for a 2001 DB7........

I can make you a copy for 50 Euros........I paid 100 myself incl VAT and postage from the UK.

Rgds,
//B//

1 - 16 of 16 Posts