Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to Aston Martin world, but have always been a fan of the cars. Recently I've come across a 2007 V8 vantage that is for sale that is a one owner car and cosmetically in near pristine condition. It only has 7009 miles on the odometer! Obviously the dealer is asking a premium price for the car because of its condition and low mileage. However...the dealer did disclose that the engine did have the dreaded timing chain cover leak and it was being sent to an indy shop that specializes in Astons to have the repair made. My question, or rather concern is that because of the low miles is the car going to start manifesting problems if start driving it because it's been driven very little in its 15 year life? How robust is the 4.3 engine and is there anything else I should be concerned about because of the age and the lack of use? Normally most people would be ecstatic to find a nicely preserved example such as this, but the cover leak has me worried that there is more below the surface. Thanks for any pointers or information you can provide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same year car - have had for the past 2 years -- 15000 miles at time of purchase -- 16700 miles now -- except for normal items ( brake pads, fluid changes ) the only other maintenance I have done was to replace the thermostat and the outside temperateure sensor. I am surpised the timing cover was not done earlier - on most cars it was handled by dealer earlier in the car's life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! Good to hear the car has been relatively trouble free. I'm in the process of setting up a PPI and based on the results of that I will most likely be purchasing the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the response! Good to hear the car has been relatively trouble free. I'm in the process of setting up a PPI and based on the results of that I will most likely be purchasing the car.
I’d like to say the engine is bullet-proof. I have 2008 Vantage V8 with the same engine. Once replaced the front gasket no longer leaks. The only engine problem, as mentioned above is the thermostat rubber edge may come loose. The symptom of this failure is the engine will not reach normal operating temperature. The Automatic Transmission is a little finicky. However most of that is due to the driver not following this procedure: When you first start the car, do not put it in gear for about 10-seconds. The Computer operated clutch goes through a ”learning process”. Of course that issue does not occur with the Manual transmissiion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I believe a check of the thermostat is part of the PPI, but I'll make sure to emphasize that. It's a 6 speed manual, so no worries with the transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I believe a check of the thermostat is part of the PPI, but I'll make sure to emphasize that. It's a 6 speed manual, so no worries with the transmission.
The reason I say the engine is bullet-proof is I’ve done at least 12-15 track-days and probably hit redline more than 100 times.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know! I don't plan on any track days with this car. I have an E46 M3 that is gutted and caged that I use for HPDE events. Super fun car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this may be a bit late but I just joined this forum having purchased a 2015 Vantage GT in late April. This is my 66th car having owned 14 Porsches numerous BMW variants, a Ferrari and Lambo along the way. I currently have 3 Porsches and an Alfa in the mix but I can truthfully say that my Aston is by far the most engaging driver I've ever had, the feeling of being carved from a single billet of metal is astounding. Being a mid front engined design makes the handling incredible and with the SportShift II trans in sport mode the shifts are such a delight for me and anyone within hearing distance, particularly the downshifts! My car had only 8600 miles on it but I've driven over 3000 miles in the 7 weeks I've had it, my Porsche looks quite lonely when I pull in the garage but I drove it today just to show it some love. I hope that your PPI went splendid and that you are a happy Aston owner by now. If you are then I'm sure there's a smile that nobody can understand other than another Aston owner. Not to chastise, but I don't understand anyone buying this or any other supercar and letting it sit, rain be damned! Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes had the car a few weeks now. About 250 miles so far! I have found one thing that needs to be sorted, but nothing major at all. The car came from a warm weather environment and as such I've discovered that the glue holding the headliner to the foam backing board has completely failed. The Alcantara fabric is in fine condition, but it needs to be re-glued, so I'm taking it to a decent car upholstery shop to have it done. Otherwise I'm really loving it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts