Aston Martin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Aston Martin DB9 V12. Is the correct way to change to manual transmission just to use the paddles on the steering wheel? I have wondered this because when I use the paddle to enter manual transmission it goes to 3rd gear at such a low speed. Pressing drive once puts the car in automatic, I've heard if you press it again it goes in manual but this doesn't seem right
Also what exactly does the sports button do.. it seems to make the car sound louder, but I'm not sure what else. And is there any way you can get to the subwoofer underneath the backseats?
Also any other cool things you know of for me to see in the car please say. I seem to discover new things about the car every day

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello Chris,
I remember you posted in the SportscarForum (SCF) on this topic but you did not get a very good reception there (and I did not have time to reply but I really wanted too). I do not own an Aston Martin DB9, however I am a very big enthusiast for Astons.
You might want to ask around a bit more, since there are probably people that know the DB9 much better than I do (and actually own it) but I believe that is the right way to change from the auto to a manual, you should pull backwards on one of the shift paddles. However it does depend on how much RPM you pull the paddle because if you are in a low RPM range in the previous gear (the one you had before you engaged 3rd) you will enter 3rd gear at a low RPM (especially if you go form a lower (1 st,2 nd) gear to third. Can you please describe how it behaves a bit more clearly and describe EXACTLY how you shift before going into manual or third? The touchtronic 2 gearbox in your car should be great though.
The "Sport" button would in brief make the car a bit more aggressive. It would stiffen up the suspension, give you a broader rev and torque band, make the shifts quicker, and more aggressive, and will get the ecu of the car (By ECU I mean the Engine Control Unit, and not the "key") to respond quicker to throttle input- the opening of the throttle valve will be changed slightly for a specific RPM value/throttle input value to allow more oxygen into the engine at times (but not very significantly). As a result of these small changes the car becomes more sporty and aggressive as hopefully you noticed from first hand experience.
I think this is all I have to say about your DB9 right now, maybe I will come up with a few other extra things later because right now I do not really have time to talk for really long... but I hope this clarifies things for you.
You have a great car (despite what some of the members at the SCF said) with (in my opinion) one of the best engines currently available for a grand tourer ( Flat torque curve, low rev, natural aspiration). Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sport mode has no effect on suspension in this vehicle. Essentially it will just hold a gear a little longer at higher revs. It has an active exhaust which is correct why you think it sounds louder.

As far as the sub goes .. yeah - let me know too...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Subwoofer Access

I just got to my subwoofer today as I wanted to disengage it from the system on my 2005 DB9. Read below for the how-to play-by-play. I am having an issue with it having a mind of it's own an acting like a loud hearbeat...regardless of whether the radio is on or not. If anyone has thoughts on this one, let me know! Also if anyone knows whther or not cutting the connection to the subwoofer will have any other ill affects other than disengaging the speaker, please let me know!

The Middle pannel between the drivers right elbow rest and the speaker mesh is a panel held in by two plastic pegs located at the front endge. If you dare (I did), pull up from this end and the panel will pop off. This will give you access to the screws holding the mesh speaker covering. If you remove all screws and pull the front seats fully forward (seat & back), you can pull up from the base of the saddle pannel and remove the saddle pannel to expose most of the screws holding in the subwoofer. It's takes some force & finesse, but once the exposed screws are removed, there is nothing else but pressure & friction holding the saddle pannel there. There are one or two (I forget) screws holding the subwoofer at the top that you cannot access easily (although you can see them) becuase the are just covered by the top pannel, and this is where I decided not to go forward.

I don't know how much access you need, but I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
DB9 owner

Hallo Chris
I hade a 2005 DB9 coupe and currently own a 2009 model.
Yes, you just pull the downshift paddle(left side) towards you. It goes straight into manual mode. I am not sure about going into 3rd gear. I havn't noticed if my car does the same, however, if necessary, pull the paddle again towards you and it will change to 2nd. I have not pressed the drive button twice, so I don't know if it goes to manual the second time, but I don't think it does.
Member nzdb9 is correct what he says about the suspension and the exhaust.
Simply put,the exhaust is louder in sport mode, because there is a vavle that is opned to allow for the "free flow" of the exhaust in sport mode and the gear changes take place at a higher rpm.
I am not sure why you want to get to the sub woofer, but if you find it to have too much "bass", then change the settings in the radio.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo Chris
I hade a 2005 DB9 coupe and currently own a 2009 model.
Yes, you just pull the downshift paddle(left side) towards you. It goes straight into manual mode. I am not sure about going into 3rd gear. I havn't noticed if my car does the same, however, if necessary, pull the paddle again towards you and it will change to 2nd. I have not pressed the drive button twice, so I don't know if it goes to manual the second time, but I don't think it does.
Member nzdb9 is correct what he says about the suspension and the exhaust.
Simply put,the exhaust is louder in sport mode, because there is a vavle that is opned to allow for the "free flow" of the exhaust in sport mode and the gear changes take place at a higher rpm.
I am not sure why you want to get to the sub woofer, but if you find it to have too much "bass", then change the settings in the radio.
Hope this helps.
This is correct^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts