Aston Martin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped my DB2 gearbox to check its condition and found copper deposits on the mainshaft where the 2nd and 3rd gear run.
I assume that is the remains of some hard chrome.
Can anyone confirm that and advise me what diameter the rechromed shaft should be, or what the clearance should be between the gears and the shaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turns out that Astons used a bronze plating on the shaft to overcome wear problems on both 2nd and 3rd gear running surfaces on the main shaft.
The Aston Service people were most helpful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It turns out that Astons used a bronze plating on the shaft to overcome wear problems on both 2nd and 3rd gear running surfaces on the main shaft.
The Aston Service people were most helpful.
Yes, i think the copper on there is somewhat like a bearing system, copper is soft, good for the application
(fyi: can you check if it was sintered +impregnated with oil/other lubricant, that could answer the copper question) otherwise,
i believe you can interchange aston parts of that era,
The DB 2, the 2/4 (early generation 1 models at least), 3 and i believe some other models used the same L6 transmission...
going by the code yours is of 1950, so you would be able to interchange running components with most/all cars early in the decade

I will have to say i havent paid much attention to cars earlier than the DB4/DB4 GT, so i dont know the shaft specs for your car.
Good site, but the Service center probably knows best (of course depending on the center):
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1389618,a,www.google.com+Search+for+1952+ASTON+MARTIN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Join the Club

If you still have LML/50/194 you HAVE to join the Aston Martin Feltham Club - see www. AMFClub.com If you no longer have 194 can you tell me who has it please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I still do have our DB2 and it's well on the way to be on its wheels by early next year. Chassis and all running gear finished, engine about to be reassembled, Instruments 100%, body having its nose rebuilt. I need a wiring loom and some way of determining its original colour (a light blue silver).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts