Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone sent their ECU's to be re-mapped by Paramount Performance or any other company? I'm thinking about having the chips upgraded for my 2007 DB9, and any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone sent their ECU's to be re-mapped by Paramount Performance or any other company? I'm thinking about having the chips upgraded for my 2007 DB9, and any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
There will be little to no gain for the engine from solely a remap...
I mean you can alter your torquecurve, powerband, etc but from the DB9 I do not expect that you can IMPROVE the OVERALL performance of the car significantly... the stock car ECU is already mapped ideally/close to based on the stock components that went into the car

However what you could do to the DB9 that involves remapping is first install a high performance intake system (for instance a freer filter) as well as an exhaust system that would ease the flow (allow for higher gas velocity) when the engine is spinning up....
and then remap ECU yourself or with someone's help....

I think in this case if all steps performed correctly, you will get an increase in power (Id say about to the level of a DBS, maybe slightly higher, there are many variables)... however, there could be less torque at lower RPM.
Also you would want to change filters much more frequently/ and your engine life expectancy will likely go down (again it depends on the car and the care).

But a sole remap on a DB9... I have a hard time believing the claims... and/or believing that there are only positive results from installing said software

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seraga,

I have already upgraded the exhaust to a Quicksilver, do you have any ideas about brands for (or more importantly who sells) a high performance intake for the car?

Thanks

Faraz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Seraga,

I have already upgraded the exhaust to a Quicksilver, do you have any ideas about brands for (or more importantly who sells) a high performance intake for the car?

Thanks

Faraz
Sure, I will try to give you some idea about the subject, though you should not listen to me alone before going from theory to practice.

One of the reasons that the DBS has more high end power than the DB9 is that there is a valve that opens at higher RPM to allow more air in and for the engine to breathe better. It is feasible to modify the intake system to DBS spec, and it was done by some companies before (I think specifically Aston Works Service and or Edo Competition would be able to do a conversion). The cost of that would be quite high, but it would be the most reliable way of doing an upgrade of the intake system.

This would then call for any alternatives to upgrade the intake... most obvious one to me would be to install a pair of freer filters compared to the original ones. If you are/will be getting the remap at Paramount performance, I think they can install the cold air filters as well, however if you would want to get the remap done by another company, I think K&N is (one of) the most popular options available out there. Because these systems allow for less resistance in air flow into the engine, they also allow for a greater range of debris, so these filters must be changed more often.

Also, your DB9 is of the first generation (2004-2009). These cars received a technical update in 2009, in which they increased the compression ratio of the engine from 10.3:1 to 10.9:1 by revising (milling off) the head...
If you do not plan on putting any sort of forced induction on your car (and you have access to a well equipped machine shop), you could mill the cylinder head down by about 0.5 mm... This and buying some gaskets would give you the "engine part" of the technical upgrade, ie teh extra 20 bhp and 20 lb-ft torque they have on the new DB9s.

Lastly, less restrictive catalytic converters might help you further improve the exhaust system (those can be purchsed off paramount), since you already have tuned the car for high end power.

I guess then the remap will come.
Hope this helps

Lastly, there is a member "Squid" on this forum. He has done a lot on his DB7 GT and is very knowledgeable on tuning. You can PM him with these questions as well, and I think he will help a lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think K&N is (one of) the most popular options available out there.
Hi. Do you know how to access the DB9 air filters? It almost seems as though the front wheels and wheel-well trim have to be removed.

BTW, I'm considering the ECU remap as well. But only because I currently have replacement, high-flow cats, NO exhaust silencer/muffler, and soon.... high-flow air filters.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Do you know how to access the DB9 air filters? It almost seems as though the front wheels and wheel-well trim have to be removed.

BTW, I'm considering the ECU remap as well. But only because I currently have replacement, high-flow cats, NO exhaust silencer/muffler, and soon.... high-flow air filters.

Thanks,

Nick
There not to hard to access, but require at least a lift or jack stands. You leave the wheels on the front but remove the lower screws in the front section of the inner wheel well linings, the under tray then will need to be removed, the same bolts that hold the undertray are holding the wheel well lining to the front lower spoiler, remove those and pull the wheel lining back,

Now you can see the plastic black box that holds the air filter inside(there's 2 air filters, 1 filter in front of each front wheel, the procedure is the same for either side). The box splits in half, remove the torque screws and you'll be able to remove the lower half section of the box.

The filter just slides off, slide the new one on and reverse the procedure.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
23 Posts
The filter just slides off, slide the new one on and reverse the procedure.
Sounds very, very easy. I have new filters from RSC. I'll post how the installation turns out. I also intend to drill holes into my stock air-boxes for additional air-flow. Should be fine, as I believe this is an old race-car technique.

Thanks for the access info.

Nick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Faraz, I would also recommend going ahead with the tune from RSC Tuning as opposed to shipping your computers to the U.K.

The Astons seem to run rather rich, which not only dilutes HP some but wreaks havoc on the catalytic convertors. You'll do yourself a couple favors buy sending them out for a tune ie: lean out the fuel mixture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts