Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New member here. I'm considering purchasing a 2015+ Vanquish, and am curious how many of you DIY routine maintenance/repairs on your cars. I've always maintained my toy cars myself, and am currently responsible for the health and welfare of a 458 and Quattroporte. Working on my cars is a big part of the ownership experience for me, and makes me feel better about these stupidly huge expenditures ;).

Thanks!

Randy

· Registered
2005 DB9, Tungsten Silver w/ Kestrel Tan interior. 2020 Vantage coupe, Lime Essence w/ Obsidian int.
9 Posts
Hi All,

New member here. I'm considering purchasing a 2015+ Vanquish, and am curious how many of you DIY routine maintenance/repairs on your cars. I've always maintained my toy cars myself, and am currently responsible for the health and welfare of a 458 and Quattroporte. Working on my cars is a big part of the ownership experience for me, and makes me feel better about these stupidly huge expenditures ;).

Thanks!

Randy
Welcome to the forum. It is always great to see fellow Aston owners willing to work on their own vehicles. I think we are probably a rarity in the Aston world.... partly because the marque has a reputation for being bespoke and unique. I have found that my 2005 DB9 is in fact quite easy to work on mechanically. The majority of the car is well designed and mechanically sound. However after I purchased my 2020 Vantage, I have succumbed to the "Take it to the Dealer" camp! There is so much 'hidden' electronic jiggery-pokery going on with this vehicle that I haven't a clue how to monitor the internal workings of all the components. The first time I lifted the bonnet, I thought Holy Crap! I don't recognize half of what is under here!
Unfortunately for us... it will only get harder to stay in touch with our cars. I recently purchased a plug-in hybrid and soon realized there were things in there that could kill you if you unhooked the wrong wire! It's brilliant technology but way beyond my comprehension. So I guess the grubby knuckled fraternity (us) will have to keep our older vehicles, so we have something to fiddle with.
I would think that your 2015 Vanquish would be right on the cusp of home handyman solvability! Good luck.

· Registered
324 Posts
I change the oil in the agency only cuz they may have software update or anything with ecu work.
Other things i suggest u do at home if u have the ability or a local garage, especially working on interior its all easy work and fun.

· Registered
7 Posts
I work on my 2009 V8V myself. There's a bunch of us. Many are on the Aston Martin DIY Facebook group as well... It's a great place to hang out with several Aston Martin factory technicians chiming in on occasion.

· Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!

Randy
Hi All,

Thanks!

Randy
I do everything on my 2007 V8 Vantage. I have a 4 post lift and also own a Foxwell NT530 scanner with Aston software loaded. I do not find the ECU's on the car any more complicated than those on a similar year Porsche or BMW which I also own and do all the work on.

· Premium Member
2008 DB9 Volante
1 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!

Rand
I guess it depends on your skill level and what you are doing. Aston exercises control on their new parts especially with body repairs. Only a body shop trained and AUTHORIZED by Aston can purchase parts from the manufacturer for body work. I guess a question is how long you want to keep your car and would you buy an Aston from someone whose only maintenance records were a bunch of parts receipts. I would not buy an Aston that wasn't at least maintained by a shop that has expertise with these type of vehicles, something that can be easily checked. But this is your car so do what makes you enjoy the car.

· Registered
23 Posts
I guess it depends on your skill level and what you are doing. Aston exercises control on their new parts especially with body repairs. Only a body shop trained and AUTHORIZED by Aston can purchase parts from the manufacturer for body work. I guess a question is how long you want to keep your car and would you buy an Aston from someone whose only maintenance records were a bunch of parts receipts. I would not buy an Aston that wasn't at least maintained by a shop that has expertise with these type of vehicles, something that can be easily checked. But this is your car so do what makes you enjoy the car.
Interesting question - for some cars driven very low miles ( < 1000 per year ), fluid changes are the only maintenance usually needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts