Aston Martin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First posts into any new car forum are always painful and seem to open up the initial onslaught of comments directed at the new kid on the block (me).

I'm new to Aston Martin as I expect to be purchasing a used 2006 / 2007 V8 Vantage in late August. Any advice, tips or suggestions while I proceed to making my purchase are welcomed!

About me- in regards to sports car experience: I own a 2007 Shelby Mustang and a 2005 Lotus Elise. I drive these cars fairly regularly (5-8k miles a year). I have roughly 20 Track days under my belt having driven on 3 different road courses to date- Miller Motor Sports Park UT, Thunderhill CA, Las Vegas Motor Speedway NV.

I am excited to introduce myself and become part of the Aston Martin group. Car forums have been invaluable in the ownership experience so I am anxious to learn more about the lovely Vantage as I transition from admirer to owner. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am new and have been here for about a week, so us newbies should stick together :lol:

Coincedentally I have a Lotus too, 1983 Turbo Esprit and have visited the factory in Hethel 3 times now.

I just bought a 2000 DB7 Vantage Volante with a six speed manual trans, its like a big front engined Elise (not really), but it is a smaller car than you would think.

Wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wayne!

I absolutely LOVE my Lotus and there is really nothing else like it when it comes to handling and driver connection to machine. It is however, really lacking the refinement and comfort of something like the Aston. I wanted another exotic but was too fearful (from a repairs perspective) to step into something like a 360 Modena Ferrari. The idea of $1.00 per mile in upkeep was just not realistic compared to my average 5 to 10 cents per mile Lotus.

I have spent a lot of time researching the V8 Vantage and talked with several owners at length about their experiences and from what I can tell it will be similar cost of ownership to the Elise. Or at least not nearly as bad as Ferrari.

I'm excited to finally get an Aston Martin and expand the collection to 3 cars. Each one will be very different from one another so it will be nice to have options! It's good to meet you and yes, us newbies will need to stick together (safety in numbers and all that) I'm sure I will as a dumb question now and again until I learn more about the Vantage and Aston's in general!

-Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.. Another newbie here.
I've been reading this forum for a few months and I just registered today.

When you pick up your AM, please share your experience in detail, as I'll be in the same position in a year or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts