Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A diagnosis of Parkinson's I find focusses the mind somewhat to prioritise aspirations and experiences with an added urgency.

I was surprised to find that my desire to own an Aston ranked as highly as it did, but there it was; right up there at number two! Ever since I was a kid the brand held an indefinable mystique for me. I say it's indefinable, but if pressed I would suggest that it is in part an understated, quintessentially British sense of style which no other car maker has achieved so consistently. An Aston Martin is a gentleman's sports car: it can hold its own in the classiest environment and at the same time is polite enough not to appear brash or overbearing parked outside the local pub.

I happen to think the DB7 is right up there with the E Type as one of the most beautiful cars ever but I didn't fancy the excruciating fuel bills threatened by the 6 litre Vantage. I also prefer the pre-facelifted styling of the i6 so that made the decision easy. I was very lucky to come across a '98 Volante in knuckle-gnawingly lovely condition with 43k on the clock. Looks more like 14 months than 14 years old.

I've owned it for 5 months now and the excitement hasn't diminished a jot. I love it from the outside and the inside and I'm so glad I bought it.

I thought, incidentally, that I had bought a car finished in Mendip Blue. Indeed, that's what I bought it as. My local AM dealer checked the build file and told me it is actually Rolls Royce Peacock Blue: it was ordered bespoke by the first owner and it is a great colour. One thing that did irritate me was the stainless steel mesh grille. Apart from being a little garish I realised that it was the wrong shape - and they all are! The "signature" AM grill has a slightly reversed curve at the top corners but the mesh grill doesn't do that. I painted it satin black and I think it looks much better.

Anyway, here she is...............

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I like your approach - sharpening the mind to focus on the ways you really want to spend your time and money.

That really is a stunning looking car. I think the black grille enahnces the understated look.

I hope you made the most of it this summer.

Best wishes,

David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, David!

Yes, thanks, I've enjoyed the car immensely but I don't confine my enjoyment solely to summer days. I love a bracing frosty morning with the top down and the heated seats on!

I bit the bullet recently and phoned to book it in to my local AM dealer for a service to keep its unblemished history intact.

Explaining that because my background is in motor engineering I can take care of most things myself I don't need the full bells and whistles so could I have an oils and fluids change/top-up and a health check - and a stamp in the book? Now, I know one generally has to pay for privilege but surely £630 is a tad over-privileged?! When we got it down to £280 all-in I thought that that was a little nearer the mark!

When I got it home, though, the low coolant light was on the next morning from cold (as it had been for some time - I'd MEANT to top it up but never got round to it, and it went off when warm so it was only a bit low!). I checked the coolant level and I put a whole litre and a bit into it! I checked the chargecooler level and that took another half!

Disturbed, I took it to a friend's workshop to look under the car to see the rust spots they reported and had touched in. Oh dear - they had done two but there was plenty more. None serious, but worth dealing with now. But the point is, I could have driven it around this winter believing the underside was protected when in fact I'd be wetting raw patches which would soon turn to full-on rot.

An embarrassing phone call ensued (I hate complaining!) culminating in them taking it back and Waxoiling the whole underside of the car gratis.

I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I suppose one is that even the most exclusive operation only employs the same regular, fallible, careless people that the humbler ones do, so take nothing for granted. Another might be that it's worth haggling when faced with an outrageous price!

On the plus side, they said that there's a number of problems which typically afflict these cars but mine shows no signs of any of them!

I can't be cross with them after telling me that excellent news, I totally forgive them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts