Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Loved Aston's for a long time, finally in a position to purchase one. Looking at a Vantage V8 or DB9. preferably with a clutch. V12 Vantage is likely out of my Budget, too bad I didn't do this a few years ago before the prices sky rocketed for Vantage V12's...

Drove a vantage almost a decade ago and my Wife and I loved it but it just wasn't the right time to purchase. Know the kids are on their own so it's time :)

Have been reading tons and trying to learn so that I purchase the best car I can afford :)

Oops forgot to add we are in the Sarasota FL area.

Regards

Mike and Jackie

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you buy a 2009+ Vantage V8, you’ll get just a little short of the HP as the V-12, well into the 400+HP range. You’ll also find the Vantage V8 is nearly 50-50 balanced, which is not the case with the heavier V12. If you’re main interest is knocking a few 1/10s seconds off your 1/4mile time then the V12 is for you, if you want a great handling car, with all the performance you need/want, then get the V8.

OK so the V-12 has about 90HP more but look at the performance of the V12 vs the V8, nearly the same:
“It took a while, but they finally did it. Aston took its smallest car and stuffed its biggest mill -- a 6.0-liter V-12 producing 510 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque -- into the engine bay. Aston Martin is claiming a top speed of 190 mph and a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds for the V12 Vantage. The top speed sounds about right, but that 60 time should be better. I tested a V-8 Vantage manual a while back and recorded a time of 4.1 seconds 0-60 and a quarter mile of 12.5 seconds at 115 mph, and that car has only 420 horsepower. I'm guessing the 60 for the V-12-powered Vantage will be somewhere south of 4.0 seconds with the quarter mile disappearing in the low 12-second range.”

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, yes I can see them, dark green with tan interior, Colorado is pretty far for me :) Going to keep looking local... Thanks
Ok, yes I can see them, dark green with tan interior, Colorado is pretty far for me :) Going to keep looking local... Thanks
That’s a really nice color combination. When you find “Your Perfect Aston”, Colorado is not too far to travel, and enjoy a mini-vacation driving home. I live on the West Coast and found my “Perfect Vantage V8” in Illinois. My wife and I spent a very nice 3-weeks visiting relatives, Yellowstone park and Jackson Hole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
understood, but neither of us is a fan of green :) I need to find a local DB9 to test drive in the next few weeks... I'm in no rush...

Unfortunately no long rides for the wife :( last time it triggered another heart attack.... so I would be solo or perhaps a neighbor would go for the road trip :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've Loved Aston's for a long time, finally in a position to purchase one. Looking at a Vantage V8 or DB9. preferably with a clutch. V12 Vantage is likely out of my Budget, too bad I didn't do this a few years ago before the prices sky rocketed for Vantage V12's...

Drove a vantage almost a decade ago and my Wife and I loved it but it just wasn't the right time to purchase. Know the kids are on their own so it's time :)

Have been reading tons and trying to learn so that I purchase the best car I can afford :)

Oops forgot to add we are in the Sarasota FL area.

Regards

Mike and Jackie
Hi Mike,
I happened to read you’re in Sarasota. I’ve lived in Sarasota for the past 43 years. It’s a beautiful town. My everyday driver is my skyfall silver 2013 DB9 Volante and I can tell you, that V12 is awesome. Nothing sounds quite like it and man, does it go!
If you’re still comparing the V8 to a V12, you know which one I’d recommend! I’ll keep my eyes open for you around Sarasota.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2007 DB9 VIN SCFAD01A57GA07242 this just popped up local to me in Venice FL. Say's incoming at the dealer website and very little info..... is there a link to get a window sticker using this vin
?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Life has been busy, just getting back out to look at some cars... Looked at a 2015 Vantage V12s, It's snug but comfortable, what a beast, it was raining so I didn't drive it yet... Looked at a 2011 DB9 last week, Left depressed, Can't believe I just don't fit comfortably. The Leg Room and Roof Height numbers compared to a vantage say I should be good but reality is nada. Today we looked at a 2012 Vantage V8 with the 7 speed sportshift... Wwweeeelllllll.... Took a minute to drive it smoothly... Not sure on this.... I expected the 4.7 to be quicker ? My wife in the E550 Cab was following and she stayed with me when I hit it...

More shopping and learning to do.. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's Update:

Took out the Vantage 2015 Vantage V12s this morning. Holy Crap that's quick :) Like you can't help but smile when you hit it thru a few gears... but alas I'm concerned about clutch and flywheel, chatters on takeoff, but shifts better then the Vantage V8 did in D when going thru the gears.... Shifts as expected in paddle mode... The V8 didn't chatter on take off ?

Am I right about clutch/flywheel issue on V12s ?

Gonna start looking for another DB9 or Vantage with a stick, That can be driven very smoothly when wanted....

For giggles looking for a newer 911 auto to test drive, assuming that's smoother ?

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts