Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would make too much of factory Ford pistons

I'm in a similar situation as yourself - have a few exotic cars, do much of the work on them myself, etc... I was thinking about a DB9, doing some reading, research, yadda yadda, until I ran across a youtube video detailing the catastrophic engine failure of a low mileage DB9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmL2rl1j8Q

The obvious oil starvation problems of the engine are bad enough, but the fact that the cars are literally built with off-the-self Ford pistons is unforgivable. Yup, that's right, generic Ford pistons, and who knows what else... I always scoffed when people derided these V12s as nothing more than two Mondeo engines joined together, but take a look at that video.

Apparently there are a few good reasons why these cars have lost 75% of their value.
I have built a lot of race engines in the last 30 years and while I once refused to use any but the best 'racing pistons' from reputable suppliers/manufactures. I have found in the last 10 years or so that GM and Ford factory pistons have better uniformity in dimensions and weight than most of the racing pistons that I was spending way too much for. Ford's Racing parts have been particularly good. When I build an engine I 'blue print' it so I ask my balancing shop to bring the pistons within 5 grams of each other. They have found that many of the racing piston supplier's pistons require too much skirt removal to bring them within my specifications. Today's factory tolerance is quite superior to what I was used to in the 'old days'. So in short, it may not be such a bad thing to use Ford pistons. I have only 27K miles on my 2009 and have found it flawless in performance and the engine winds up quickly, very, very smoothly.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts