Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the world do you get to the oil filter on a 2001 DB7 Vantage? It appears to be blocked in from every direction. The shop manual doesn't seem to address the topic. I bought oil, a filter and two drain plugs and now I can't get to the filter!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I normally remove the large flexible air ducting at the throttle body, also pull off the smaller crankcase ventilation hose attached to the under side of the ducting. Be careful pulling this of as the ducting can be weak. That end of the ducting can them be lifted out of the way to allow access to the filter. Then use a suitable filter wrench to remove the canister.
A small amount of oil will drop on the cross member.

After replacing the filter, when re-fitting the large ducting back onto the throttle body, ensure that the hose clip does not obstruct the movement of the throttle actuation mechanism.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I normally remove the large flexible air ducting at the throttle body, also pull off the smaller crankcase ventilation hose attached to the under side of the ducting. Be careful pulling this of as the ducting can be weak. That end of the ducting can them be lifted out of the way to allow access to the filter. Then use a suitable filter wrench to remove the canister.

After replacing the filter, when re-fitting the large ducting back onto the throttle body, ensure that the hose clip does not obstruct the movement of the throttle actuation mechanism.
Thanks. I'll try and have a look tomorrow.

Sure seems like an odd place to put the filter after all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a bear to get that filter in and out. (My hands and forearms are pretty beefy.)

I still think that's a stupid place to put a filter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seems strange,the 1998 i6 oil filter is
reached from under car and easy to get at. ??
But then again the air pipes for the headlights
on the 1998 go under wheel arch cover making it
hard to change the filters.Yet the 1997 has the pipes
under the bonnet,nice and easy.So moving mine back.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,

+1, this is how I would do it too albeit try and put a bit of rag under the filter if possible to catch any stray oil when the filter is removed.

I do agree though that the location of the DB7 V12 vantage oil filter is strange as are both the air filters and fuel filters!!!!! These things are set to try us I think. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts