Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first message in this forum so I would like to introduce myself and show my respect to all of you. I hope I can learn a lot about this fantastic car maker and its jewels.

Last week I went to the gym and I parked my car next to this AMV8 in gun metal colour. I think I am a lucky young man who drives a mercedes SL500 model 2002 which I am proud of and I love to bits. Mine is no ugly car but looking at both together, a small feeling of envy invided me while looking at the beauty of the AM. I was working out and I kept thinking about the car and I thought I need to work hard and change the Sl for a DB9, as I am too tall for the V8.

The next day, while driving around my home town, I looked left to this car dealer and that is exactly what I saw... A gun metal DB9. I could not resist to stop, go and see it. The first thing I thought was "this is the most beautiful car I´ve seen in my life"; I want it and I started making numbers. The sales man brought the key to me (very dissapointing as it looks like an old ford scort key), but the start bottom makes up for it. I jumped in and my first feeling is that the car was small for me, perhaps because I am used to the merc or bigger cars in general, and maybe because it was a bit small for me full stop. So I left the car sad buy thinking my height had just saved me some money. I took a picture and I put it as my blackberry background. Since then, I´ve not stopped thinking of it.

I´ve gone back today with my business partner. We have found a possible solution to my leg room, which is to remove the cover of the back seat (which is useless) and move the rails under the seat 5 cms back... This would be my first question. Do you see it as a solution?. Those extra 5cms would change the driving possition for me.

This car I am looking is a 2006 model, with 17000kms on the clock. It seems to be in right conditions but I am not sure which are the things I should be looking into, so I would apreciate if you helped me with my next questions:

-Is there anything specific that I should be looking before buying an Aston Martin DB9?.

-How much is to service this car in an official garage (diferent kinf of services)?. I do ok but I am not rich so this is a concern for me.

-Is there an specific part in this car that is known to be faulty?. Which one?. i understand this car is enginereed by ford and this makes me wonder and think that the technology in this car would not be up the the level of its main rivals (porsche, some mercs, bentley, lamborghini). perhaps I am wrong.

-How reliable is this car?. (I am not someone who would keep it in the garage to drive it once a month... I think I would do an average of 800kms per year).

I don´t think I would buy this specific car car, unless everything goes to plan and this car is still for sale in the next 6 to 8 months, but it is time to start researching and getting to know the model before making my mind up for one, so any help will be apreciated.

Kind regards,

Sergio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sergio,
Lot's of questions there, so I'll try to get through a few of them. First, don't give up on the A-M Vantage V8. I bought a 2008 used a couple of months ago and really like it. If you find a Vantage V8 with power seats you'll find you can lower them and move them quite far back. As you've noticed, the back seats in the DB9 are useless also the luggage compartment is much smaller in the DB9 vs the Vantage.

The Vantage starts out at a much lower price than the DB-9 so it will cost you much less used. I would expect there is less maintenance cost with the V8 than with a V12. I don't know about maintenance costs yet, as mine is still under warranty--I have had a few failures already. The electric fuel cap failed to open and mechanism was replaced, the AM radio was inop and was replaced, the Back-up sensors didn't work and are being fixed, and the biggest problem is with the clutch not fully disengaging, so the transmission was hard to shift--that also is being fixed right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sergio,
Lot's of questions there, so I'll try to get through a few of them. First, don't give up on the A-M Vantage V8. I bought a 2008 used a couple of months ago and really like it. If you find a Vantage V8 with power seats you'll find you can lower them and move them quite far back. As you've noticed, the back seats in the DB9 are useless also the luggage compartment is much smaller in the DB9 vs the Vantage.

The Vantage starts out at a much lower price than the DB-9 so it will cost you much less used. I would expect there is less maintenance cost with the V8 than with a V12. I don't know about maintenance costs yet, as mine is still under warranty--I have had a few failures already. The electric fuel cap failed to open and mechanism was replaced, the AM radio was inop and was replaced, the Back-up sensors didn't work and are being fixed, and the biggest problem is with the clutch not fully disengaging, so the transmission was hard to shift--that also is being fixed right now.
Thank you Dicktaoe,

I will have a look at this model as well, but I think I sat in it once in gatwick airport and I did not fit. I am nearly two meters tall 6´7" and I think I could not do it even pushing the seats to the limit. The second hand V8 in spain are not cheaper than the db9 as it is a newer model, but I would actually prefer a smaller car like the V8 as I would imagine it to more sporty and more fun.

Let me ask you something; How does it feel to drive?. Do you find it quick enough?. If you have driven a recent 911, how would you compare it to it?. Jeremy Clarkson says it feels a little bit short of power but not slow??.

thanks once again!.

Sergio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts