Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
From little to no great choices, two are coming on the market shortly. Which do you anticipate to be the better drivers car ? Aston Martin Rapide or the Porsche Panamera ?
Frankly, I feel the Porsche may drive better, though I think the Aston looks better.

John

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
The amounts of camo on each car differ substantially.
The Panamera has its front lights and grill/bumper all covered (which does nothing for its looks) and the rear bumpers (on the sides) still have some false paneling which gives the rear more bloated look than it already is.
Obviously the AM is certainly more beautiful, but the Panamera isn't as bad as well :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
For now, I'd take the Rapide over the Panamera. Even though it costs as much as $70k more than the Panamera Turbo, the Panamera simply looks awkward from too many angles.

I think Porsche will do a early refresh and then it will look like a proper sporty Porsche. It's sales are doing very well, but a refresh will help. Porsche did a refresh on the Cayenne after the first couple years that really helped it. Then, with the second generation Cayenne, they made bigger stylistic improvements, so I would expect the same for the Panamera.

In the meantime, I will stick with the beautiful Rapide, electronic flaws and all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From little to no great choices, two are coming on the market shortly. Which do you anticipate to be the better drivers car ? Aston Martin Rapide or the Porsche Panamera ?

The Panamera turbo is faster and cheaper, yes...
But it is also all wheel drive, and has launch control...
The Aston on the other hand (despite not coming in a manual) has a very well tuned chassis, rear wheel drive, natural aspiration and no launch control or DCT

So far, when reading all the comparisons, the steering response of the Rapide was described as much better than the Panamera Turbo's response, and the Rapide felt like a much lighter car to drive (despite a very small advantage in weight).

The 4.9 (Aston) vs 4.2/4.1 (Pan T) seconds to 100 doesn't make a big difference to me. It is decent enough and faster than most cars. What matters to me is the feel of the car, the connection with the driver, and THAT is where the Aston wins in most of the comparisons.

The Aston has less room because of all the chassis rigidity tuning that the car had to undergo and the attempt to preserve it's beauty.
But this demonstrates that it is a driver's car... Sacrificing passenger comfort for the feelings of the driver... that is fine.

The rear seats to me are an excuse (fairly good as opposed to the NINE) for having an Aston and a big family... and I am perfectly fine with that

The car that I will enjoy owning every minute is the better driver's car:
  • It would put the driver as a priority
  • It will be naturally aspirated, low rev, with a broad torque curve
  • Preferably rear wheel drive
  • Breathtakingly beautiful
  • Decently fast
  • Agile and light
This is the Aston and not the Porsche

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Panamera turbo is faster and cheaper, yes...
But it is also all wheel drive, and has launch control...
The Aston on the other hand (despite not coming in a manual) has a very well tuned chassis, rear wheel drive, natural aspiration and no launch control or DCT

So far, when reading all the comparisons, the steering response of the Rapide was described as much better than the Panamera Turbo's response, and the Rapide felt like a much lighter car to drive (despite a very small advantage in weight).

The 4.9 (Aston) vs 4.2/4.1 (Pan T) seconds to 100 doesn't make a big difference to me. It is decent enough and faster than most cars. What matters to me is the feel of the car, the connection with the driver, and THAT is where the Aston wins in most of the comparisons.

The Aston has less room because of all the chassis rigidity tuning that the car had to undergo and the attempt to preserve it's beauty.
But this demonstrates that it is a driver's car... Sacrificing passenger comfort for the feelings of the driver... that is fine.

The rear seats to me are an excuse (fairly good as opposed to the NINE) for having an Aston and a big family... and I am perfectly fine with that

The car that I will enjoy owning every minute is the better driver's car:
  • It would put the driver as a priority
  • It will be naturally aspirated, low rev, with a broad torque curve
  • Preferably rear wheel drive
  • Breathtakingly beautiful
  • Decently fast
  • Agile and light
This is the Aston and not the Porsche
EVO magazine in the UK did an excellent article comparing the Aston, Porsche, and Bentley earlier this year. Have you seen it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
68 Posts
EVO magazine in the UK did an excellent article comparing the Aston, Porsche, and Bentley earlier this year. Have you seen it?
Sorry Boxer I did not get a chance to read the EVO article on the Rapide(couldn't get it at the libraries or online). I believe from what I heard about it, the Rapide won the comparison over the Pan, Quattorporte, and the Flying Spur. Don't think it were just the looks that got it the 1st spot.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Boxer I did not get a chance to read the EVO article on the Rapide(couldn't get it at the libraries or online). I believe from what I heard about it, the Rapide won the comparison over the Pan, Quattorporte, and the Flying Spur. Don't think it were just the looks that got it the 1st spot.
Yes, the Rapide came out clearly on top. The Panamera did not score anywhere near as well as I wold have expected. Clearly Porsche made to many compromises on the car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, the Rapide came out clearly on top. The Panamera did not score anywhere near as well as I wold have expected. Clearly Porsche made to many compromises on the car.
I happened to see the cover of the magazine, but I couldn't tell if the Panamera was top of the line (Turbo). I am not surprised that the Maserati and the Bentley scored lower than the Aston though.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts