Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know why Virages command much lower prices than any other Aston? I know from another forum that there is mixed sentiment about their relative merits, but are they really that bad of a car? What is the main problem that makes them unpopular/loathed by Aston afficianados?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What were the specific reliabilty problems? And have they been solved over the years (for example, often when manufacturers discover a recurring problem, they implement a service campaign to fix it)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a shame as it seems an unloved Aston which is good for prices (from a buyer's perspective). The owner's club forum has a lot of threads about the Virage with owners saying they are great. The only specific problem referenced by owners there (other then not enough brakes) is a head gasket leak. They all seem to say it's just a nuisance and doesn't cause a loss of compression. The general consensus seems to be not to bother fixing it until you have to have the heads off for something else.

As to its fuel consumption, I guess at $2.50 a gallon that would be a serious consideration. Does anyone here know if the DB7's are any less profligate? Thanks.

Brent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having a conversation with myself...Hopefully some other prospective Virage owner in the future will find this thread and benefit.

I've heard the "VIC" often does not work on these cars. What the heck is a VIC?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I got an answer from elsewhere on the 'net:

"It's a Vehicle Information Center. A green LCD display above the A/C controls that has the odometer, trip odo, clock, outside temp, fuel economy(or lack thereof), journey time,avg speed. Really sticks out like a sore thumb in the Virage. Later on it was replaced by 3 analog gauges."

The above is from a US Virage owner. Mystery solved.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
What I cannot get over is the price drop these cars had. A new Virage was $240,000 and I know someone selling 1 of 18 manual Virages shipped to the U.S. and he is only getting $55k

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what makes them so appealing right now - they are (or should be) "fully depreciated". In other words, they should never be worth less than they are today. Of course, there is always the concern they will end up like DBS's, unloved and fall into disrepair that is more expensive to correct than the car will ever be worth. I think their relative rarity should prevent this (unlike, say, 308 Ferraris or other exotics that were actually made in relatively large numbers).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found this site. I was the guy who told you about the VIC. The Virage is somewhat unloved by the Aston community. Change is never universally accepted. Reliability is relative with the older Astons. Head gaskets were a minor problem early on and most have been fixed or you put up with slight leaks. The VIC can be a problem, but mine is fine, although some days it doesn't want to wake up. I believe I drove Club Sportiva's Virage before they bought it and it wasn't a happy car. But what do you expect for a 12 year old car with 14K miles? They need to be used. Realize they are aging and things wear out from age OR use. I got mine in August 2004 and put about 5500miles on it. I've replaced the vacuum hoses,a cam cover seal, gearbox and diff fluids, rebuilt the water pump, alternator and power steeriing rack, and went to larger rims to use cheaper tires( Avons are stupidly expensive)I just drove it 600 miles in one day and got about 22mpg. They are an aquired taste, and not everyone likes the looks. That's OK. They are great cars, I love mine, but to each their own.
BTW I've always heard there were 14 5 speeds in the U.S. Very heavy clutch but way more fun.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
PRanucci,

Welcome to the site. I am not sure where I came up with 18 manuals in the U.S. but this was the number I heard. I can't say for sure if it was 14 or 18. Yes it is a heavy clutch but the car is still fun to drive. The Virage is still a looker when you see it on the road you know it is an Aston Martin and the front is classic Aston Martin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dave paant

The Virage is misunderstood, perhaps, but it is the last of a line and is wonderful. I have a '93 Volante and find it a great capper to the "real" hand built Astons. I have 6 Astons, starting with a '66 short chassis Volante, and ending with a '03 DB7 GT. I have an '87 V8, and the Virage answers the few complaints I have with it. Sure, it's not got the classic lines of the V8, but it sure does get plenty attention. These cars are also rare! Check out Tim Cottinghams site to see that the cars really ran out of gas due to a world wide recsession in the early 90's. Hand built quality. Hand built engines. My reliability has been great (after a proper sorting). Aston realized that cars of this type (and they were the last to be really hand building at that time) could'nt be sustained, and therefore the change to DB7 tactics and pricing. Nothing like a big, brutish, but velvet glove /iron fist approach that the cars have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts