Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody, doubtless with the best of intentions, made a peculiar decision not to give the owner of a DB7 Volante the responsibility or the stress of having to decide whether or not to lower the little rear ¼ windows. Heaven forbid anybody should have their own preference!

I have had a few convertibles over the years and I sometimes like to have the hood down with the side and rear ¼ windows up. I find it helps reduce the draught around the back of the head. Similarly, I sometimes like to have the hood up but with all the side glass down.

I thought it would be a doddle to just put an extra electric window switch into the system so the rear windows could be operated independently. That was until I investigated the bootful of relays! I swear I've never owned a car with as many relays, nor as many fuses - nor as many hundreds of metres of cabling! It's like driving around in an old fashioned telephone exchange.

I digress..... ! After identifying the source of the window switches (who knew it was the Ford Transit van or the rear door of a Mondeo?) I now have a perfectly original looking setup which is still as idiosyncratic as the original in a way. I envisaged that I would simply insert a switch which would lower or raise the rear ¼ windows. No, it's not that simple. It's a two-switch operation now - I have the original hood switches which select "up" or "down" and the new switch selects what it is that is to go up or down: just the hood, the hood and rear ¼ windows, or just the rear ¼ windows.

A little odd, but perfectly effective - but anyway I do now have the option to have the windows set the way I want them................... (I still can't work out the logic in the original setup)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Topvaux, I hate to impose, but I hope you can help. I have a 98 Volante. The left rear 1/4 window does not go down when it's supposed to. I assume it's a relay (fuse?). You seem to have some experience with that relay panel. Can you explain to me which relay relates to that window, or perhaps where I might get a chart indicating which switches relate to which parts? thanks, Woody
[email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Woody

Surely, you're not imposing in the least.

Having spent so many hours standing on my head in my Aston's boot deciphering the mysteries of the hood and ¼ lights it's a pleasure to pass some of it on.

The ¼ windows are controlled by TWO relays - one for UP and the other for DOWN - (you couldn't make it up!?) There are no fuses, the motor is protected by circuit breakers.

The relays for the left hand motor are: for UP - a white base and a pink cover and for DOWN - a yellow base with a pink cover. You could swap the relays to see if a new relay would fix it, of course - but you knew that!

I do now have a full set of workshop manuals, incidentally, on CD in PDF format if you'd be interested. I can do you a copy for £25 if you'd like one. No obligation, mind - do feel free to ask me another if I can help.

My next projects are to investigate a non-functioning cruise control and - bizarre, this one - a passenger side aircon fan which won't stop unless you pull the fuse....... even with the ignition off!

Best regards

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Topvaux - sounds like a clever mod you've done; any chance you could attach photos of the switch installation and possibly a step by step on how to do the modification?

Kind regards, Ray.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ray

Yes, I'd be delighted, only I'll have to put it on hold at the moment because I'm a tad busy just now with the design and build of a trailer for a friend to carry a hanging load, building a summerhouse for sister-in-law, repainting half an Audi TT for my elder's fiancée, making some electronic games for my younger's wedding in three weeks, fixing the aircon on my DB7 and the development of a six stroke engine. In fact, I'm supposed to be retired with a progressive degenerative disease but I really don't have the time for that as well.

I'll try to get on to it for you soon, Ray. I must say I am very pleased with the mod - except that the hood cover (which I hardly ever bother to use - alcantara is very easy to clean) needs a slot in it to fit round the raised rear ¼ windows, but other than that it is much quieter and less turbulent driving at speed top-down.

Tootle-pip

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts