Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019MY Vantage. After 3 1/2 years, 7000miles and kept in a garage, the ignition coils and plugs corroded. See pic below.
Wood Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal

I am posting to find out if other owners of the AMG V8 cars have had a similar issue.

The damage was caused by water getting into the engine bay and sitting on an area of the engine that doesn’t drain properly. The dealer couldn’t find out how the water got in. They refit the cowl, checked the drains…everything fine. They said they have seen this problem before but I didn’t get specifics ( I know the v12 DB11 has had issues and is apparently unresolved but I am specifically focused on the AMG V8 Unit) . Considering how many miles are typically put on these cars and the favorable conditions they are driven in, that is not a great endorsement.

Obviously given some cars have vents, this is not a completely sealed area. It seems like, as many places where water can get into an area of a car, it should be designed to drain if it gets wet. Apparently that is not so for this specific engine installation.

Since it was never determined exactly how it happened, I have little confidence that it won’t happen again. I asked why this wasn’t evaporated by the heat of the engine, worst case, and this was unknown.

To make a long story short, I’m trying to find other owners that have had the same issue. From everything I can tell, this is either the fault of the design or a poor installation. We all know( well except for Aston Martin) that coils and plugs are not a maintenance item after 7000 miles. I’m confident there was nothing singularly peculiar about my car. If this happened to me it will happen to others.

I’m posting this on a few sites to get as many owners as I can. Please let me know if you have had this problem as I am keeping data.

I am trying to get an idea of just how widespread this problem is. In the meantime be forewarned about driving your car in the rain. :eek:

(I had the Timeless Warranty and Aston gave me a terrible hassle about covering the repair. Even though the repair was ultimately covered, only due to the efforts of the dealer, Aston corporate aggravated me so much that I will never buy another Aston product. My view of the Timeless Warranty being “ultra-luxury”toilet paper will be for a post on another day.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears the leaky coils and water damage are a known issue with the AMG engine. Mercedes/AMG has redesigned the plugs and included three ribs that seem to be designed to limit water leaking down to the plugs. Aston also has a new part number and my coils were updated.

I am glad there is a fix. maybe now I can drive the car in the rain. But it also makes it that much worse that Aston was such A-holes about covering this under the warranty.

Here is a picture of what the new boot design looks like:

Wood Tool Composite material Auto part Plastic

1 - 2 of 2 Posts