Aston Martin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Aston Martin Vantage 007
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I have seen several reviews comparing the AMG GTS to the Vantage and the Vantage is always slightly slower. 0-60 and 1/4 mile. This doesn't seem to make sense as the AM is several hundred lbs lighter and uses an identical engine/trans. From what I gather the tuning is the same on the engine but customized by AM on the trans tuning.

Could the trans tuning really make the car that much slower (few tenths) or does AM not have the trans tuning optimized like AMG does?

Several magazines have claimed that AM should have left the AMG trans tuning alone...I don't really notice any issues with mine but my car does feel slower than my former AMG GTS. Not much slower, just noticeable enough though.

Curious if any AM owners have dived into this subject or not...Love to hear some thoughts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as I know it’s a different transmission. There is a DCT in the AMG GT. Then, of course, there is also the programming of the traction control and the weight distribution, chassis, tires, etc.

On the engine basis alone, I wouldn’t expect the cars to be the same,but I’m not really a ultra gear head.

·
Registered
2008 V8 Vantage
1 Posts
I'm guessing -- and I think it's a fair guess -- that somewhere in the procurement deal, Mercedes stipulated that the Aston could not outperform it's AMG counterpart. Even if it were just by a small amount, it would have to come in second.

By whatever technical means they achieve this is irrelevant, but I don't think Mercedes would sell Aston an engine for a car that is a direct market competitor to its own model and allow Aston to make it faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts